Saturday, April 11, 2015

Taking the Savior’s Yoke


28 ¶Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matt 11:28-30)

This is more of an incremental insight, but it is precious to me anyway. 

In the past, whenever I have read this, I have wondered, “How does learning of the Savior’s meekness and lowliness help us find rest?” 

In Sunday School a few weeks ago we discussed this block of verses and someone pointed out that if you yoke a trained ox with an untrained one, it is possible for the untrained ox to learned from the trained one.

I liked that a lot.  If we are yoked to the Savior, we can learn how He does things. 

When the burden is heavy, He doesn’t shirk or refuse or fight it.  That is how His meekness and lowliness is exhibited. Also, He didn’t refuse to carry our burnden of sin when He worked out the Atonement.

Just knowing we can go to Him for help lightens our load.  I’ve found that when I take time to remember Him, somehow my spirit is renewed and my soul finds rest.  I had a few days this week when at the end of the day I just was exhausted and wondered how I could go on.  But when I sat and took some time to think about Christ and remembered and envisioned what He did for me, I felt the Spirit renewing my strength.

0 comments: