A stiffnecked person:
- Thinks Christ isn't the right way. (2 Nephi 25:28)
- Despises plain words, kills the prophets, seeks for words not understood, and looks beyond the mark. (Jacob 4:14)
- Always resists the Spirit of the Lord, receives the law, but doesn't keep it. (Acts 7:51,53)
- Does not serve the Lord or go to the temple. (2 Chron. 30:8)
- Builds up churches to themselves to get gain and tranfigures the holy word of God to bring damnation to themselves (Mormon 8:33)
- Is "hard to understand." (Enos:22)
- Sets at naught the commandments of God (Helaman 4:21)
- Is quick to do iniquity and slow to remember the Lord. (Mosiah 13:29)
- Spends their days in gross iniquity (Alma 26:24)
- Thinks the Lord will allow them to go on in their way of sin. (Helaman 9:21)
- Causes contention. (Omni:28)
- Gets angry when told they are stiffnecked. (Alma 9:31)
- Doesn't know that God can do marvelous works. (Alma 9:5)
- Doesn't repent of their sins, but ascribes the power displayed by servants of God to the devil. (Alma 15:15)
- Doesn't hearken to the words of God, but casts out, smites, drives from house to house and place to place, casts into prison, and binds servants of God (Alma 20:30)
- Can't be governed by law or justice except to their destruction. (Helaman 5:3)
Ouch. I think I found some stuff I need to repent of.
Now… let’s turn this around and describe one who is NOT stiffnecked.
One who is NOT stiffnecked:
- Believes Christ is the right way.
- Loves plain words, reveres the prophets, seeks for clear principles, knows the mark to aim for is Christ.
- Always submits to the Spirit of the Lord, receives the law and keeps it.
- Serves the Lord and goes to the temple.
- Builds up churches to Christ, avoids self-aggrandizement, carefully transmits the word of God to bring eternal life to themselves.
- Is easy to understand.
- Highly values the commandments of God.
- Is quick to do good works, and slow to turn from the Lord.
- Spends their days in great righteousness.
- Knows the Lord will not tolerate their sin, forsakes it.
- Makes peace.
- Searches their souls when told they are stiffnecked.
- Knows God can do marvelous works.
- Repents of their sins and ascribes to God the power displayed by the servants of God.
- Hearkens to the words of God, receives, is hospitable to and respectful of servants of God, allowing them great freedom to travel and preach.
- Can be governed by law and justice, even without severe penalties.