Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Where does wickedness start?, Alma 60:15


For were it not for the wickedness which first commenced at our head, we could have withstood our enemies that they could have gained no power over us. (Alma 60:15, emphasis added)
This verse comes in the middle of Captain Moroni’s chastening letter to Pahoran, and I realized recently that it has excellent spiritual application to each of us.  

In each of us, wickedness commences at our head, in our mind in the form of lies and half-truths that we give in to and then begin to act on.  Therefore, in order to prevent this wickedness, we must watch our thoughts carefully and watch the beliefs that we subscribe to because false beliefs can creep in as well as good ones.  Before our body gives in, our mind must give in first. 

What is the solution?  “…let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly” (D&C 121:45)

I was in the temple just last Saturday to do some initiatories and while I sat waiting for my turn, I wanted something to do.  Usually I read the scriptures, but this time I did something a little different.  I decided I would try to see how many scriptures I could remember and recite silently from memory.  I went through some scripture mastery scriptures and I went through some verses from Isaiah, and I found that with each scripture, the Spirit gave me that lovely warm feeling and filled me with joy.  It picked up my mood and when it was finally my turn to do initiatories, I was in a much more worshipful frame of mind.

Righteousness commences at our head too.

Have you ever tried this?  Try it and see for yourself!

0 comments: