Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lessons from the conversion of Alma the younger

We’re familiar with the principle that change is possible for all of us, which the story of Alma the Younger’s conversion teaches. We’re also familiar with the principle that praying for others to be brought to the truth is powerful, as Alma’s father did for him. But I also recently noticed another principle as I was reading Mosiah 27 recently.

24 For, said he, I have repented of my sins, and have been redeemed of the Lord; behold I am born of the Spirit.

25 And the Lord said unto me: Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters;

26 And thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God. (Mosiah 27:24-26, emphasis added)

Alma was told personally by the Lord that his experience of conversion was something that EVERYONE had to go through in order to inherit the kingdom of heaven. All of us must go through the same mighty change of heart that Alma went through, or we will be cast off as he was nearly cast off.

Alma had to realize his awful state to make any progress. We must also realize our awful state. The faster we realize it, the faster we can repent. We need to realize the wrongs we have done to know what we must repent of. This is not a comfortable thing to do, but it must be done, otherwise we are like those that Nephi spoke of who say “All is well in Zion, yay, Zion prospereth, all is well” and then have our souls cheated and led down to hell. I have found that the best way is to ask the Lord to reveal to me the truth of what I need to repent of.

Alma’s predicament is ours, and his mighty change can be ours too, if we call on the Lord for mercy as he did.

1 comments:

Caroline Brock said...

What interests me in this passage is that the transition into becoming a new creature (being born again) will happen to ALL--even those who never received the gospel in this life. Most people will never be born again while on this earth, but as a spirit in the spirit world. And I agree, applying the law of sacrifice is the only way to put the process of "being born again" into motion. When our desire to be shown what it feels like to be TRULY humble is greater than our desire to be comfortable and self-reliant, then the Lord will begin this beautiful process.

Anyway just a few thoughts...
michaela--Please email me when you get the chance (carolinecbrock@gmail.com). You posted a comment on my law of love blog post. I wanted to send you an email if possible. Thanks!