Thursday, November 10, 2016

Comparing the Lord’s counsel between Philadelphians and Laodiceans


In Revelation 3, I noticed some imagery used that was used in two different ways, as the Lord gave messages to two different churches in the John's day.

To the Philadelphians:

I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name. (Revelation 3:8)

To the Laodiceans:

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)

One church had permanently opened a door, and the other church had many who had shut it. It gives some sense that some had taken advantage of spiritual opportunities and were open, while others had closed themselves off.

Are we open or are we closed off from the Lord?

I notice that even though the Laodiceans were described as those with closed doors, the Lord had not given up on them. He told them He stood at their doors and knocked and called them.  That suggests for us that if we feel and hear the Spirit inviting us to do something, we can choose to respond though we may not have in the past.

0 comments: