Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What shall I do?

One of the great stories in the Book of Mormon is the story of Lamanite king who was taught the Plan of Salvation and wanted a change of heart so badly that he was willing to do some difficult things for it.
15 And it came to pass that after Aaron had expounded these things unto him, the king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy.
16 But Aaron said unto him: If thou desirest this thing, if thou wilt bow down before God, yea, if thou wilt repent of all thy sins, and will bow down before God, and call on his name in faith, believing that ye shall receive, then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest.
17 And it came to pass that when Aaron had said these words, the king did bow down before the Lord, upon his knees; yea, even he did prostrate himself upon the earth, and cried mightily, saying:
18 O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day.. (Alma 22:15-18)
It is amazing that though he didn’t yet know what was required for his sins to be taken away, he was willing to give up what would be most dear to a king—his possessions and his kingdom—in return for:
  • Eternal life
  • Having the wicked spirit rooted out of his breast
  • Reception of the Spirit of God
  • Great joy
Aaron told him he needed to bow down before God (showing humility), repent of his sins, and pray to God in faith that he would receive.

It is so touching to me that this king did more than bow down, he prostrated himself on the ground, and he didn’t just pray, he “cried mightily”. And though he didn’t even know if this God was real, he prayed anyway, praying that if God was real, that He would make Himself known. And then, promising to give away all his sins just to know this God!

His prayers were answered, and you can read the whole story here.

Are you willing to give away all your sins for all those things? How much do you want to know God? Will you bow down and cry mightily for forgiveness? Will you be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost?

0 comments: