Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Who do we listen to?


Moses 5 has a lot of verses that mention that people were listening to Satan more than God.

And Satan came among them, saying: I am also a son of God; and he commanded them, saying: Believe it not; and they believed it not, and they loved Satan more than God… (Moses 5:13)

…Cain hearkened not, saying: Who is the Lord that I should know him? (Moses 5:16)

And Cain loved Satan more than God. And Satan commanded him, saying: Make an offering unto the Lord. (Moses 5:18)

Satan desireth to have thee; and except thou shalt hearken unto my commandments, I will deliver thee up… (Moses 5:23)

…these abominations were had from Cain; for he rejected the greater counsel which was had from God (Moses 5:25)

And Cain was wroth, and listened not any more to the voice of the Lord, neither to Abel, his brother, who walked in holiness before the Lord. (Moses 5:26)

Cain took one of his brothers’ daughters to wife, and they loved Satan more than God. (Moses 5:28)

Wherefore the Lord cursed Lamech, and his house, and all them that had covenanted with Satan; for they kept not the commandments of God, and it displeased God, and he ministered not unto them.. (Moses 5:52)

56 And God cursed the earth with a sore curse, and was angry with the wicked, with all the sons of men whom he had made;
57 For they would not hearken unto his voice, nor believe on his Only Begotten Son, even him whom he declared should come in the meridian of time, who was prepared from before the foundation of the world. (Moses 5:56-57)

Notice the range of little choices that these Cain and his family made.  They made choices about
·      what they believed,
·      what they valued and wanted to learn more about,
·      who they listened to,
·      who they ignored,
·      who they loved most,
·      who they made promises to,
·      and who they trusted. 

Sadly, it was all in the wrong directions.

Among all this tragic spiritual deafness, there are a few bright spots of people who do listen to the Lord:

4 And Adam and Eve, his wife, called upon the name of the Lord, and they heard the voice of the Lord from the way toward the Garden of Eden, speaking unto them, and they saw him not; for they were shut out from his presence.
5 And he gave unto them commandments….And Adam was obedient unto the commandments of the Lord. (Moses 5:4-5)

And Abel hearkened unto the voice of the Lord. (Moses 5:17)

This got me thinking about who I listen to and I started thinking about all the little impulses I have throughout the day to do certain things.  I asked myself, “What impulses do I tend to obey?”  I can usually tell a difference between then.  Some are to do good things and require me to put forth a little extra effort.  And some are.. self-indulgent.  To an outside observer they may look harmless, but I know when they are self-indulgent.  I’ve realized that I need more spiritual power in my life and that making better choices in which impulses I follow will help me.


0 comments: