Friday, March 24, 2017

Symbols of the Love of God


And it came to pass that I beheld that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God. (1 Nephi 11:25)

I was struck by this recently. This is during Nephi’s vision of the tree of life and the dream his father had.

I noticed that it wasn’t just a tree representing the love of God in this vision, but also a fountain of living waters. So I asked myself why both were there. What is it about a fountain and a tree that God wanted to use them both to represent His love?

A fountain flows and overflows continuously. And a tree grows and produces flowers and fruit.  There is motion and life and results from them.  That tells us something about the love of God. It’s active and it grows and it produces results/ fruits. 

I suppose that might be a good guide for what we can look for in our lives.  It also shows us how our love needs to be for our spouse, for our children, for people around us, and especially for God.

Can we say our love is flowing and overflowing and growing and fruiting?

0 comments: