Saturday, June 25, 2016

Christ as a Sanctuary or a Stumbling Stone

-->
14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
15 And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken.
16 Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples. (Isaiah 8:14-16)

Here Isaiah prophesied that Christ would be seen different ways by different people. Some would see Him as a refuge and a sanctuary, but others would be offended and stumble at His doctrine and teachings and then fall and be ensnared by false teachings they resorted to because of their affronted feelings.

Things are still the same today in His church. We have people who see the church (which is led by Christ) as a refuge from the world, and we have others who are offended by church doctrine and policies.  They stumble and fall away.

The Lord’s disciples are those who will bind up the testimony and seal the law, which I take to mean that they stand steadfast, being true to their testimony and keeping the commandments through all hazards and opposition.

And for those of us who stay true, we have much to look forward to, since Isaiah says Christ’s kingdom will spread:

Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. (Isaiah 9:7)

The order and peace in Zion is only going to increase from here!  I find that marvelous, and it strikes me that unless we individually prepare ourselves for it, we will be among the ones who are eventually offended and falls away.

3 comments:

river song said...

Hi from Los Angeles! I've been enjoying your blog very much, and what a fabulous title! I'd love if you'd consider adding social media share icons to your post so people could tweet, FB, Pinterest, them easily. I'd love you to check out my blog, too: desert spirit's fire! Thanks; see you online!

Michaela Stephens said...

Hi river song. Forgive a little bit of snark, but I wonder if I really need icons when I have little text links for those very things below each post.

river song said...

not snarky at all; I've found it's good to have every share option imaginable, and honestly, I use icons and as a graphic designer I love their decorative function. Besides, I'll admit I didn't even notice your text inks until this very moment, which (snark?) explains why you need every share option imaginable. Peace and joy!