Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Reaction to Paul’s “unknown god” sermon on Mar’s hill

32 ¶And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

33 So Paul departed from among them.

34 Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them. (Acts 17:32-34)

It seems like those who said “we will hear thee again of this matter” received Paul’s words favorably in comparison to those who mocked, but when you compare them to those that “clave unto him, and believed,” we see it wasn’t totally sincere.


If waiting to hear the message again sometime isn’t a good reaction, then what is it really? It is a reaction that indicates the person has been taken by surprise and wants to respond, but doesn’t feel up to it right then, and doesn’t want to close the door on the possibility of accepting in the future. Unfortunately, all too often, the someday of hearing it again doesn’t happen.


I once got into a conversation with one of my teachers about the Book of Mormon, and he told me he would talk to me again about it. He never did. I suppose part of it might have been my fault because I didn't try to start another discussion about it. I was waiting for him. Maybe he was waiting for me to bring it up again.


Have you ever had a gospel discussion with someone and this kind scenario happened? Did you pursue it?

2 comments:

Ramona Gordy said...

I had a recent discussion with my brother along those lines. I have been trying to encourage him to read the book of mormon with me. I spoke to him recently after a long hiatus, and I was telling him about a story I had read in the book of mormon. He caught on to the excitement of the story and asked me "what book I was reading". So I said :The book of Mormon!!!. And he said rather flatly, Oh, I have "that book". So I said read the "story" for yourself and of course the conversation ended.
I think that people do not really want to commit to knowing the "unknown god". Like the Children of Isreal,in refusing to move forward in their spiritual progression and refusing in essence the blessings of the Melchieziek priesthood. They were more comfortable with what they alread knew. It is the parable of the talents. Paul spoke again to another group and their comment was "almost thou persuadest me to believe"
Insightful post, Thank you

Michaela Stephens said...

RGG, you do a good job of sharing your enthusiasm for the Book of Mormon. Hopefully your brother catches it from you someday.