Thursday, January 18, 2018

Sacred Support


In this verse, Captain Moroni commands Zerahemnah to surrender in the name of God and by a list of other things that are important to the Nephites.

And now, Zerahemnah, I command you, in the name of that all-powerful God, who has strengthened our arms that we have gained power over you, by our faith, by our religion, and by our rites of worship, and by our church, and by the sacred support which we owe to our wives and our children, by that liberty which binds us to our lands and our country; yea, and also by the maintenance of the sacred word of God, to which we owe all our happiness; and by all that is most dear unto us— (Alma 44:5)

One of these things mentioned is “by that sacred support which we owe to our wives and our children.”

I love that term “sacred support.” To me it doesn’t just mean the psychological support and commitment to wife and children, but all the hard work that is done to provide for one’s family. I love that Captain Moroni calls it sacred, and it really is. That support is a sacrifice that good, able-bodied men make every working day for their families.

As a wife who benefits from this sacred support, when I see it as sacred, I realize it would be terribly disrespectful and ungrateful of me to then turn around and waste that. It puts a responsibility on me to use it wisely for the benefit of our family. It also means that the tithing that is paid out of that sacred support is doubly sacred, since it is essentially a second sacrifice.

Knowing that support of my husband is sacred gives yet another good reason for budgeting, to make sure that none of that sacrifice is wasted or for naught. Because it would be awful if our choices make that sacrifice meaningless.



2 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

What a wonderful insight! I'm so grateful that my husband is willing and able to go out day after day and "slay dragrons" to bring home the bacon, so to speak. No job is perfect, exciting, and fun every day. Some days are deadly dull or painfully difficult, so I count myself blessed that he is willing to do it year after year. My old-fashioned motto is "Dad makes the living, and Mom makes the living worthwhile."

Michaela Stephens said...

"My old-fashioned motto is "Dad makes the living, and Mom makes the living worthwhile.""

Love that! Thanks for sharing it, Rozy Lass.