Monday, October 13, 2008

Vote yes on Proposition 102!

In November in Arizona voters will decide whether to pass Proposition 102, which defines marriage as between one man and one woman. I believe this is important to do. I would like to share the principles of my belief upon which I base my decision.

I believe that gender is an essential characteristic of a person and that it is eternal. (Male spirits and female spirits existed before we were born on this earth and will continue after we die.)

I believe that the institution of marriage (between one man and one woman) is divinely sanctioned and approved.

I believe that the principle of love, as overarching and transcendent as it is, has certain limits and boundaries to its proper expression that are divinely appointed and that when we act within those boundaries, individuals may become perfected and society is strengthened.

I believe that God delights in the chastity of individuals (both men and women) who are not married and in the complete fidelity to spouse of those individuals who are married.

I can see that the institution of marriage is under attack from various directions. It is under attack from within when married individuals seek their own interests over the good of the couple and the family. It is under attack from without when large numbers of adults of marriageable age put off marrying. It is under attack from without when alternatives question the very nature and importance of gender.

By voting for this proposition, we politically affirm what we know to be true, that marriage is between one man and one woman.

0 comments: